Thursday, December 20, 2012

early blues influences

I wrote an essay in college comparing the influences of early blues to modern masters in a way, specifically underscoring the influence of Robert Johnson on Eric Clapton.  I have highlighted many early blues masters in this blog before.  But to give a broad, general idea of who yours truly has listened to for inspiration in terms of the beginnings of the blues, here are some names.

Robert Johnson
Bukka White
Charley Patton
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Blind Willie McTell
Son House
Mississippi Fred McDowell

Those are just a few of the names.  These names came either from the Delta or the hill country in Mississippi.  Now, forgive me for not recalling more names.  I try to be a researcher of early American roots music.  I am working on it.  Should names come up that come from other blues traditions, they will be mentioned.  Hey, some of them have been clearly illustrated in other posts.  Yours truly has several influences.  It just depends on which styles of music really captivate me at the moment.  So, this is a mere sample.

More will be highlighted.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment