Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Merle Haggard "I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink"


This song has been in my head lately.  Merle Haggard wrote this classic tune, depicting a guy who has just had enough of dealing with his wife, or girlfriend, for so long, that the bottle is all he can resort to, headed for the bar, drowning his sorrows, probably getting sloppy drunk for all the listener knows.  But, beyond the subject matter, this is a country song that actually has a really, really good guitar riff in it.  Somehow, some way, when Merle recorded this, or played it live (as in this video), the guitar tone and the instrumentation just really melded well.

If there was ever a country song that a jam band could cover, it would be this one.  Better yet, a bar band.  If someone is playing country music covers in a juke joint, this song has to be either the first song on the set list, or, the encore.  Check it out.

2 comments:

  1. The video for "I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink", has been removed. No worries. Will post an updated, modern version, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found another version, of "I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink", that Merle performed, live, on the Grand Ole Opry. Rest In Peace, Merle.

    ReplyDelete