Friday, March 2, 2012

the drum solo

Just had a thought.  I've heard and seen so many bands drummers' do gigantic drum solos right in the middle of songs, out of nowhere.  You know, the monstrous rhythmic labyrinths that begin in one place and end up in a complete different spot before going back into an actual song.  Yes, this concept probably started in jazz and it's fascinating to some (i.e. drummers and probably people who are just really tuned in to musical nuance).  But, I can understand, too, that people might get bored, yawn, and want to head for the concession stand for another bucket of popcorn and a large cola or glass of beer when one of these things comes around and charges it's way at the fans to leave them spellbound.   

I've seen and heard my fair share of them, probably starting with seeing the Allman Brothers at the Minnesota State Fair in 2004 (a concert I am working on an article about as I write this one).  At first, I was utterly awestruck by drum solos and how intricate certain drummers could be with their fills and flourishes while being able to swing and maintain rhythm structures to a T.  But, for some reason, later on, after seeing countless jam band concerts or bands that put drum solos in their set, I began to find them, well, predictable.

There is some adrenaline rush extension about a drum solo, though.  Somehow, the energy that flows out of one and makes it a chain linking the rest of a red hot jam between the beginning and the end, makes it nearly a necessity.  A drummer who can either swing, or, just pound the heck out of the skins, is a thrilling thing to hear.  ...And, please, don't start any debates on who is the best drummer of all.  There are countless greats in all forms of music.

But, in certain cases, maybe a drum solo just not necessary.  I am not anti drum solo.  Rather, just the opposite.  However, I can understand the debate.  Necessary or not?  That's the question.  Well, leave that decision up to the bands.  Conclusion, drum solos are a great way to add suspense to a concert situation.  Whether they are something that needs to be included in every sort of jazz, rock or improvisational show (including in classical music), is entirely up to individual listeners and musicians alike.  I am just stating that I enjoy drum solos.  That is all.  Long live the drum solo!

No comments:

Post a Comment