Monday, January 30, 2012

jazz fusion revisited (Passport & Frank Gambale solo work)

I have been on a jazz fusion exploratory kick today for some reason.  So, I thought I'd better post some of my findings.  I ended up discovering some wicked Frank Gambale solo numbers and, that led me to finding a band that my brother Charlie introduced me to that is still popular in Europe, but has not really been noticed here.  They are from Germany.  The band is called Passport.  Their main members are:

Klaus Doldinger: saxophone, flute
Wolfgang Schmid: bass
Curt Cress: drums
Udo Lindenberg: drums
Kristian Schultze: keyboards

There are other members who have probably played those instruments on their recordings, but sadly, the Wikipedia page describing them doesn't necessarily have info on, or credit those musicians.  I know Wikipedia tends to be quite inaccurate.  But, here's the link to their page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_%28band%29

They do also have a band website as well that has short samples of some of their best work as well as info on the band and a discography.

www.passportjazz.com

Their two major early albums that garnered them success are their self titled record from 1972 and "Handmade" from 1973 for which the album art is an animated landscape of a sunset or sunrise over mountains with a giant green hand risen up from one of the mountains.  Sadly, (even though my brother does possess one of their original records), the only way to really hear their music is either through YouTube or short clips on the band's website.  But, they are still playing and still creating music.  In coming posts, I will highlight some of it.  Stay tuned. 

Additionally, I have found some interesting videos of Frank Gambale and his solo work, particularly from the early '90s, a long time before he joined Chick Corea's Elektric Band and subsequently, Return To Forever.  Will post some of that, too.  It's good stuff.  Stay tuned for more fusion and further music ideas.  Until then, keep your ears open and check out good music.


No comments:

Post a Comment