Tuesday, August 14, 2012

records

Thanks to my brother and some friends of his who own a record shop in Minneapolis, I have increasingly become more and more interested in this new following that vinyl records have as compared to CD's.  Vinyl, somehow, some way, is coming back after being thought of as a relic for years.  Between my brother and I, we are developing a large record collection.  It's just that I haven't had real time to listen to everything that we've got.  But, for other people out there who may be interested in collecting records as compared to CD's, there is a cool website you can check out.

This website is called Discogs and people actually put their entire collections on it.  It is for buying and selling records mainly, but it's also an interesting point of reference to the hobby as a whole whether it's LP's, 45s or 78s.  My brother is a diehard fan of old records and has gotten me into it somewhat although I am still learning the hobby for what it is and maybe vinyl will come back in full force because experts in the sales of records claim that digital sources will eventually become obsolete.  Not now, but, in years down the road.  Personally, I wouldn't want digital sources to disappear entirely.  However, the evolution of this new found vinyl revival is gaining steam.

So, if any readers of this blog are interested in vinyl at all, do check out the Discogs website and there is another source completely dedicated to 78s.  The Online 78 rpm Discographical Project.

Here are those links.  Check them out and you too might become interested in vinyl if you're not already.

http://www.discogs.com/
http://www.78discography.com/

As a bonus, any readers who use Facebook, check out the Vintage Music Company in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  This is the store that got me into the record thing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Music-Company/212007043220

No comments:

Post a Comment