Sunday, July 15, 2012

concert revisited: The Moody Blues U.S. Bank Theater @ Target Center, July 15th, 2007

My idea for seeing this concert by the Moody Blues five years ago at the U.S. Bank Theater at Target Center (basically, it was in half of the arena), was prompted by seeing one of their shows at Royal Albert Hall years before on television.  It must have been the songs that they sang on that broadcast that somehow inspired me to begin following the band.  A friend of mine had seen them years and years ago, too, and had told me about them.

So, I just had to see the show for myself and that is what made me a diehard Moody Blues fan even though I was probably THE youngest person in the whole audience at that show on that particular Sunday night, five years ago, today, believe it or not.  The Moodies have so many great songs that deal with a great number of emotions and are delivered passionately through the lyrics and the music alike, especially by their remaining original members (guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Justin Hayward and bassists/songwriter/vocalist John Lodge).  That night at the Target Center, in the theater, I knew many of the songs and heard others for the first time.  It's amazing how in a short period of time, you can become fixated on a band and their music even after not hearing them before.

It's all about keeping an open ear, and I sure have over the years.  Yes, I am one of the Moodies younger fans.  But, their music has undoubtedly had an influence on me and is still part of my life today, even after I found out about them as a 21-year-old who was still in the throes of their college education at the time.  I was a little green, but, I think seeing that concert, and furthermore, finding a rare, three disc, Dutch import compilation record of their many great songs, has made me a full on fan.  I have also looked into Justin Hayward's solo work which deserves just as much praise from music fans as his work in the Moody Blues.  Here is the set list from that memorable 2007 concert.

Set 1:

1. Lovely To See You
2. Tuesday Afternoon
3. Lean On Me (Tonight)
4. Never Comes The Day
5. Steppin' In A Slide Zone
6. The Voice
7. One More Time To Live
8. I Know You're Out There Somewhere
9. Story In Your Eyes

Set 2:

10. In Your Wildest Dreams
11. Isn't Life Strange
12. The Other Side of Life
13. December Snow
14. Higher and Higher
15. Are You Sitting Comfortably?
16. (I'm Just A Singer) In a Rock & Roll Band
17. Late Lament
18. Nights In White Satin
19. Question

Encore:

20. Ride My Seesaw

No comments:

Post a Comment