Saturday, May 19, 2012

concert revisited: Lynyrd Skynyrd & Hank Williams Jr. @ Target Center: May 19, 2007

As thunderstorms approach our area in St. Paul this afternoon, I am taken back to this day five years ago (a Saturday, just as today is), and seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd and Hank Williams Jr. at the Target Center on a night that saw these two artists dive into what they are known for, southern fried boogie rock.  To me, Skynyrd can sometimes be an overrated band although I do have a spot in my heart for some of their songs.  That night they played newer songs (at the time) and their old chestnuts ("Freebird", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Gimme Back My Bullets" etc.) and the show did rock and roll as expected.  I was glad to have seen them before their original and legendary keyboard player Billy Powell passed away.

Of all the members in that band as they originally were, of those who had survived to that point, I think I have the most respect for Billy Powell and guitarist Gary Rossington who is now the only surviving original member still in the lineup as former drummer Artimus Pyle and guitarist Ed King have gone on to do other things.  I am not sure I'd rank Skynyrd as one of my favorite bands, but they did influence me on the guitar side of things a lot.  I remember hearing what amounted to a "perfect" set list as all the major staples were in it from "Workin' For MCA" to "Gimme Three Steps", "Gimme Back My Bullets", "Ballad of Curtis Loew" and so many others.  Their recent (at the time) song "Red, White & Blues" (from their "Vicious Cycle", album, also struck me on a patriotic note, despite what people may say about patriotism in our society being overrated and commercialized, which, to an extent, it sure is.

There isn't much to say about the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer's that hasn't already been said.  My deal with Skynyrd is, I like some of the deeper tracks on their recordings and have heard plenty of "Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama", to say, "OK, y'all, cool it."  But there are some other tracks in their repertoire that do put a smile on my face.  I know, I know.  I've got a bit of a redneck streak in me.  Some of the boogie bands I listen to represent that side (Skynyrd and the Charlie Daniels Band come to mind), while other boogie rock bands I've spoken of (the Allman Brothers, the Marshall Tucker Band, Wet Willie, Elvin Bishop, or, Grinderswitch), really bring out my more eclectic side that pines for R&B and jazz.

Southern music has become a part of me whether that's blues, country, or jazz.  They all came from the deep south.  I do appreciate Skynyrd's musicianship on the parts of the late Billy Powell and other fallen members of the band.  They had good chops for the most part.  It will be a show I do remember always and was a good time.  Hank Williams Jr. was also a part of that set.  I do like his music, and particularly what his father Hank Sr. did.  He isn't anywhere close to Hank Sr. on songwriting and is more like Skynyrd in the sense he just wants to get down, rock out and party.

But that particular night at the Target Center, I came away with a couple things.  Ol' "Bocephus" (a nickname his dad gave him), is an entertainer more than anything who does speak his mind on what he feels about current events or on music in general.  But, beyond that rowdy image, I thought his band was very well versed (much like Lynyrd Skynyrd).  I mean, heck, Hank Jr's harmonica and saxophone player in his band is none other than former Wet Willie front man Jimmy Hall who is definitely an influence on me when it comes to singing or just hearing someone who can belt out a tune.  He can play the heck out of a sax or a harp.  It would have been cool to hear him actually sing something with Hank, too.   That particular evening though, I think Hank was seemingly buzzed on something and kind of meandered and rambled his way through the set, even though the band was absolutely on fire!

So, as much of a rowdy, redneck deal that gig might have been, I still took something musical away from it.  I think Skynyrd has always been a band that isn't afraid to do things their own way, crank up their three guitar army and have a heck of a time playing music for their devoted fans.  Now to dust off a three disc compilation set and listen to a few of their old demos which were very good and just as well done if not more so than the current renditions of some of their well known songs.

P.S. Rest In Peace Allen Collins, Ronnie van Zant, Leon Wilkeson, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines, Billy Powell, and Hughie Thomasson (who played guitar with both Lynyrd Skynyrd, and fellow boogie rock band, The Outlaws).

No comments:

Post a Comment